Just like the verb, the adjectives also play an important part in a sentence. There are different kinds of adjectives. We shall see these in this chapter.
What is an adjective?
An adjective is a word which is used with a noun / pronoun to add something to its meaning. (adjective = added to)
- Solomon was a wise king.
- The tall boy climbed up the tree.
- The brave soldier was awarded.
- I bought a very big house.
- Michael is a clever boy in this class.
|Quality||Show the kind / quality of a person or thing.||good
all the wealth
|Quantity - Number||Countable||some boys
|Definite Cardinal - Number||Denotes the number (how many)||one
|Definite Ordinal - Order||Denotes the order. (the order of things)||first
|Indefinite||Denotes the actual number.||all
|Distributive||Refers to each one of the number.||each
|Demonstrative||Point out which person / thing.||this
|Emphasizing||Stress / emphasize||my own
- Nora is a good girl.
- The elephant is a large animal
- We met an old man
- Our manager is an honest man
- It is a big building
- Please give me some water.
- We have enough sugar.
- She lost all her properties.
- They did not eat any rice.
- The man has no sense.
3. Quantity - Number
- I did not see any animal here.
- We have enough pens to give them.
- All men enjoy the trip.
4. Definite Cardinal - Number
- There are three boys in the room.
- I have five pencils.
- He wrote two novels.
5. Definite Ordinal - Order
- He is the first man to donate.
- The sixth girl in the line is very pretty.
- He came second in the race.
- All boys are very happy.
- I read a few books by Hardy.
- Several trees fell down in the storm.
- Each girl must finish her work.
- Neither boy is clever.
- Every child is precious.
- This place is suitable for us.
- That girl dances gracefully.
- I don't like such flattery.
- Whose house is this?
- Which is your pen?
- When will you return?
- This is the very book I need.
- I finished it with my own hands.
- That is the same result we expected.
- What a fool!
- What a surprise.
- How beautiful is the rainbow!
Identify the adjectives and note their kinds :
- She was a very kind lady.
- The beautiful girl sing a song.
- Every member must take the responsibility.
- Who broke the window?
- She gave some rice to the beggar.
- We have enough milk to prepare tea for all.
- The brave king defeated his enemies.
- She witnessed everything with her own eyes.
- This is the book I need.
- Several pages are missing in this book.
- She was a very kind lady. (quality)
- The beautiful girl sing a song. (quality)
- Every member must take the responsibility. (distributive numeral)
- Who broke the window? (interrogative)
- She gave some rice to the beggar. (quantity)
- We have enough milk to prepare tea for all. (quantity)
- The brave king defeated his enemies. (quality)
- She witnessed everything with her own eyes. (emphasizing)
- This is the book I need. (Demonstrative)
- Several pages are missing in this book. (indefinite numeral)