Forms of Verbs
Dear friends, you have studied that verb plays a vital role in a sentence. You also should know the different forms of a verb. Then only you will be able to use them appropriately in sentences.
Here are some verbs with different forms to help you.
|Base Form - Present Tense||Present Participle||Past Tense||Past Participle||Infinitive|
Use the correct form of the Verbs:-
- Shakespeare has ______________ (write) many plays. (written)
- The boys are ________________ (hit) the ball. (hitting)
- Ruth ____________(begin) the project last week.(began)
- The little girl was _________ (sell)flowers on the beach. (selling)
- Where have you ________ (go)? (gone)
- William ____________ (buy) a new car last month. (bought)
- The driver had ________(drive) the car very fast. (driven)
- We ___________ (sleep) peacefully last night. (slept)
- Mr. Navin has __________ (teach) us grammar very clearly. (taught)
- When I saw them they ________ (run) fast to catch you up. (were running)
A very few verbs have an alternative participle ending in 'en' which can be used adjectivally.
|USUAL PARTCIPLE||ADJECTIVAL PARTICIPLE|
|drink||They have drunk milk.||The drunken man fell on the road.|
|melt||They have melted the metal.||The molten metal is very hot.|
|prove||He has proved his statement.||It is a proven fact.|
|Sink||The ship has sunk due to cyclone.||The crew rescued the people from the sunken ship.|
|Strike||The clock has struck ten.||The panic stricken child, cried loudly.|